Achieving balance between reaching your goals, the greater environment and having a life is one of the greatest tricks we can pull off.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Shame, shame, shame.

Sometimes, you have to walk away from stuff because it grates on you.  Other times you have to have a measured response.  And sometimes you need to just let it fly and rant. And that is ok.  It's ok to be angry.  Well, I am angry.  I am angry about a beach in my town, and the fight to keep access there. It's called Higgins beach and it is arguably one of the most popular, or well attended beaches in Maine. I am not going to go into all the history around this fight, suffice it to say I spent (along with a a TON of other people) a lot of time and emotional investment trying to KEEP the precious little access the public has to this beach last winter. The town council voted a certain way.  It was a bad compromise, but there it was.  What are you going to do?  We didn't lose all access, but we lost a lot.  I thought it was over.

Nope!  This morning as I got to the beach I noticed several things.  One, that there was no on street parking, and that there was no parking in the parking lot either, and there was a guy giving tickets! Wait, if the town knew they were going to be down there working on the roads, and they know people recreate there, shouldn't they have made exceptions?

Then I noticed that the road crew working down there was painting the new lines for the parking spaces.  Not only that but they painted  a ten foot (approx.) wide walkway space on the right side thus basically putting the parking spaces in the middle of the road!  Well!  No wonder you can't park on both sides of the road, because there is this whole zone, that no one really ever told anyone about that is now blocked off!  Bullshit.

And of course, the signage all over the community is completely wrong.  'No parking at any time' (then in mice type- except where noted) And one hour parking 'May through September, no parking at any other time'?  Completely wrong!  Completely!  I was there when this terrible compromise was passed and I recall distinctly that the 12 or so spaces from Morning to Vesper streets were to not have any time limit on them.  Now they all say one hour. And off season, you can park there with no time limit.  Did the town lie to us?  It certainly appears so. Or are they manipulating the signage, so those who don't know won't park there?

And speaking of lying, why is the lot being paved when we were told by that town it wasn't going to be?  Why are they ticketing people during the construction phase when no one can access the lot- which was the whole reasoning behind the HBOA's  wanting to remove the on street parking in the first place?  What the hell is going on down there?

And then reports of HBOA members harassing people parking completely legally under the new laws?  Let me be clear, I truly don't believe everyone who lives at Higgins is a bad person.  I do believe that the people who are trying to manipulate the town and shut off our public access should find themselves a nice cozy gated community far from the public arena.

And speaking of manipulating the town! I have said it before and I will say it again.  This isn't about access to the town, they have made it clear they don't care about public access. It's about money.  Who has it, and who doesn't.  The people at Higgins have it (whether they are 'rich' or not doesn't matter-their tax base is higher, as their property values are higher so the town gets more money out of them) and we, the rest of Scarborough, don't.  But let me be very clear here.  These are public roads, paid for and maintained by all of Scarborough. We pay for a lot of the infrastructure down there as well (the Seawall project, the Drainage project, the lot, the trash pick up, the plowing and the policing!). And now we are being told we can't park on OUR roads?  And are getting ticketed by an officer whose sole job is to walk the beach (no not the neighborhood, just the beach) and ticket folks, who is being paid with OUR money?  Again, bullshit. I have to say, far be it from me to ever, ever accuse any person of being crooked.  I WON'T DO IT.  That said, the steadfast, unwavering, non-consideration of other opinions motivations of certain council members around all this have to be questioned. I think primarily of councilor Wood and Councilor Sullivan.  Wood obviously hadn't even ever been to the beach before this whole thing started as he didn't even know where the Inn was located. He doesn't care, and it is obvious from his rant at one of the first meetings that he doesn't.  They have removed this particular video from the web but it was from December 1 of 2010.  I have a copy and you can request one too. Yet somehow, he is so adamant and passionate about safety issues (non existent as testified to by the Scarborough Chief Of Police). Why is that councilor Wood?  Why? 

So tell me Councilors, why is it that folks can park on my (public) road, and I can't park on their (public) road?  Is there a reason?  Safety isn't it, that is clear.

I have played patty cake over the last 8 months about all this, trying my best to be reserved, not to point fingers or make anyone angry 'Oh you don't want to make the councilors angry, that won't help' Keep it civil blah blah blah. But you know what?  It is clear that they don't care.  They are going to do whatever it is they want to do. It is an unbelievable shame that our publicly elected officials don't much care about the public, and the overwhelming opinions they carry. (Though I don't even know if Town Manager Tom Hall is an elected official) I do however want to give big ups to councilors Holbrook, D'Andrea, and Rancourt for fighting for the public's cause. Thank you.

It is truly unbelievable. If you are as angry about this as me, we should figure something out.  A park in, or better yet a slow parade- Get as many cars in there as possible on a saturday and everyone just drive around at 3 miles an hour so they can't ticket or tow you. Take action. Take this issue to the public. NO one, I mean no one I have talked to, save the folks who live at Higgins, support a parking ban.  We need to get parking at Higgins to be the same as any other town beach.  Easy access and free parking on public roads in the off season, and limited, enforced parking in season.  Easy, and lawful, and the right thing to do.

You know, with all the crap going on in the world, this may seem like a little issue.  Even on a local level (think about the horrific vote recently about the school budget).  But when the opinions of the vast majority of the public are ignored for the benefit of the few, even when it comes to parking on a public road, there is something really wrong with our system. Shame.

Well, I promised a rant. There you go. I am sure plenty of folks will poke holes in some of what I state here. But this is how I see it in this moment of anger. If you have factual disagreements, feel free to comment. Even though this was still more reserved that how I feel.  You should ask the guy who was riding in the truck with me.

15 comments:

  1. EVERYONE loves a parade! Even a slow one.

    I had a similar experience in Greenwhich, Ct, where I could not access the beach without paying $22.50...just to launch my Kayak. So. We launched a BUNCH of kayaks elsewhere and spent the DAY at "their" beach.

    In kindergarten I learned how to share. This is poor community stewardship and behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, the Town Council does what it wants no matter who speaks in opposition to a proposal. The whole fiasco with losing all the access we did at Pine Point a few years ago and turning it over to the Lighthouse Motel for free was another example of a ludicrous decision. Richard Sullivan and Mike Wood amd Ron Ahlquist were clearly working with their own agenda and not the interests of the many speakers opposed to what was being proposed. By the way, Richard Sullivan lost in the next election following that decision and that is when Jessica Holbrook joined the council. It is really too bad that we have councilors that just don't get (Mike Wood, Judy Roy, Richard Sullivan and Ron Ahlquist) how lucky Scarborough is to have this magnigicent treasure. If they did appreciate it, i think their decisions would reflect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Michigan, but my beautiful niece got married at Higgins Beach about four years ago...as I read your post, I could "see" this gorgeous site "in my mind's eye". It is disgraceful that a few people are trying to disallow the general public to be able to have access to the beauty, peace, and serenity of this location. Unfortunately, all of us cannot afford to live on the water...but that is no reason for us to be prohibited from enjoying it! Wish I could be there for the parade! "Rock on", Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to see what's happened to Higgins Beach since I left Maine. I live in San Francisco now, and the attitudes up here (not Southern Cal) are more like the Maine I grew up with, NOT Greenwich Connecticut.

    So, in Scarborough, Maine, there's a nice town beach, called Higgins. Some people choose to buy land on property abutting or in proximity to that beach. That anyone has made that choice--who they are, where they're from, why or how they made such a choice--isn't my concern. But I do wonder the extent to which it is *legal* to erect barriers to public access, to a public park.

    I, I love a parade...yet I'd also start looking for legal equivalents, precedent, nationwide, for preserving a public asset for which a chilling effect is being created re: access and use by the public.

    Over the years I spent huge amounts of time at Higgins Beach---summer days with friends, bringing nieces and nephews from midcoast on day trips with me, many an evening after work after monstrously hot days for simple evening picnics with a boyfriend or work pals, fall and winter walks--my boyfriend and I even made our Christmas photo us on snowy Higgins Beach...and same boyfriend proposed to me there, 2 years later, amidst the crashing waves.

    I must say I noticed a shift in Higgins Beach first in 2000 and then in 2005. In the summer of 2000 there were a lot of Latino men fishing and catching eels--they didn't bother anyone, they just did their thing--but the 2 HB residents and their 2 friends apparently visiting Maine, were implying in their conversation that They didn't belong here. It was ugly, and not the Maine I knew. In 2005 2 friends from Washington DC were visiting me--one dark black and the other Indian. I don't know whether it's a coincidence, but we had barely parked our car and had happily hit this beach I had told them so much about, when we were waved up to the street and told--despite the signage--we could not park there, and best move along. I was mortified and horribly embarrassed at what appeared to all of us to be gross parochialism and weird misplaced sense of entitlement. Like grade B bullies in high school.

    So...there also may a discrimination hook here to this story. It sure seemed crystal clear that day. As we drove out, people peered at us as if we were Very Scary People, or Undesirables. In the past Higgins Beach always seemed more like Maine I know--not like the welcome wagon is going to roll out and you'll be greeted by the people living or staying near (thank god), but if you behave yourself well, relatively quietly, modestly, just like anybody else everyone can peacefully coexist. If not a legal complaint, I will say I had never--and I started going to Higgins Beach, frequently, way back in 1985--felt that sense of xenophobia and a nervousness that often emanates from people who have *some* money but seem to be trying to buy privilege...that just isn't theirs to buy. People with more money, or generally people who are more secure with who they are in the world, tend not to make a fuss, tend to be more chill and tolerant, or...they move further up the coast where no one wants to hang out on their rocky beach anyway :)

    I'd look for legal experts in upholding public right to access public assets. And start a media blitz and story placement about how unattractive and un-Maine this behavior is. Ultimately, it's potentially poor PR for the state.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, Higgins Beach is a totally public beach! If you do not understand that, then you need to conduct your own reality check! Really!
    Has anyone here posting ever been turned away from surfing? Exactly! Ben Keller, you need to leave your car at home and ride your bike. Think about how much good you will be doing for mother earth by doing this simple thing! Your profanity laden rant about the town council, the folks living down at Higgins Beach, and the bike cop whose just making a living (fcol!) really doesn't leave your intellect in a good light! Have you had a good paying job lately? If the answer is "no," then you need to assess your life, my friend. The folks that live down at Higgins Beach ain't like Prouts Neck! They ain't all rich! And frankly, they're all pretty much a good neighborhood! Just like the streets around the civic center are posted "no parking" to control congestion, so are the streets down there at Higgins Beach! It has nothing to do with taxes or any inside influence with the town council! You are paranoid! Those folks down there have zero influence with the town council! If they did, you wouldn't be parking your car on Bayview at any time of the year! So, Ben, take a deep breath, spark one if that's your ticket, and ride your bike for a change! If you happen to figure out how to change the parking issue, let me know before the Pirates season next year! I'm getting tired of parking in the Old Port and hoofing it just to save a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben, as for your civil disobedience of a slow drive through the neighborhood...be careful of what you wish for. That will please their cause just fine!! You will prove their theory that surfers are a public nuisance! And you will be the main reason for further restrictions on our vehicle access! You can not threaten the fine people of Higgins Beach. Some of your arguments that you suggest may find you culpable if any residents down there suffer from vandalism or other problems! Say you organize a slow drive through and clog the streets in a marginally legal maneuver. Say an old person down at Shipwreck suffers a heart attack and needs an ambulance but the ambulance can't get through in time! Dude, tag you're it as the bad guy!! Don't dare do it! There are a lot of us that surf down there that are getting real pissed of by the actions of you and powers! You guys are really screwing up a good deal that we've been getting for the last 17 years! Don't do it! It wouldn't be in the best interests of the vast numbers that go down there to enjoy the beach and surf! Be practical!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surfer dude, feel free to start riding your bike with a 9'0 attached rain or shine whenever you go surf. Oh and start riding it to the civic center too. The you can report back on how much of a favor you are doing for mother earth. Until then keep your self righteous drivel to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris,
    I do ride my bike all year long. When it's too dangerous, I walk. As for being self-righteous, is loving mother earth wrong? Really?? Please tell me! Is wanting others to follow your path of living light while on this rock really "drivel???" Forgive my impression here but you must not really love the totality of this planet. To want to surf in clean water, you've gotta live with a "clean footprint" to the hilt. You just can't be a surfer and not give a hoot about the smoke your putting in the air with your truck. IT ALL BEGINS WITH ONE. Apparently, you're waiting for someone else to be that ONE.
    If you have so much pent up anger, why don't you investigate if the Cape Elizabeth sewage treatment facility dumps raw effluent into the Spurwink after a substantial rainfall. I don't think their system can accommodate so much liquid so they overboard the excess. Drive down Spurwink Rd and check out their storage tanks on the left side of the road as you head toward Cape. The tops of the tanks are precariously level with the river. So, the next time you're sitting on a nice set after a big storm ('cuz ain't that when we get the sweetest rolls) and you get the distinct inescapable scent of an outhouse, like a turd is taped to your upper lip, think of a group of button-downed Capers in cuffed khakis and shiny Bean boots laughing about how many surfers are doing the "Bill Murray in Caddyshack" over there at Higgins. LOL!!!
    You and Ben are full of anger! All I can say is look for peace. I look for solitude and peace of mind and being while I paddle and anticipate the next swell (well, as long as it hasn't rained over an inch within the last 24, mind you). I can only imagine the vitriol that runs through your minds at such an otherwise peaceful period. Anger and hate ain't in this surfer's toolbox, my friends. I love the earth, the sea, the weather, and you guys too, even if you may not know what it means to "surf" in the meta-physical sense. I love the old people that have lived and worked their whole lives and now live by the sea. I may envy their hooch but I don't hate them for what they've rightfully earned. The people of Higgins Beach are not silver spooners like Prouts Neck folk. There are no Rockefellers or Carnegies or Vanderbilts or Spragues with velvety-soft hands down there. Higgins Beach is a blue collar beach...salt o' the earth! You and Ben and a small few others are spoiling it for the blue collar surfers...the dudes that just want to go down there and ride a few to ease the pains of daily life back on Terra Ferma. So, please stop trying to do us all a "favor," wouldya? Pax!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To say that increased parking at Higgins beach can be replaced by positive vibrations and biking year round for most of us that live a good distance away is a load of crap. You are playing right into the hands of a bunch of exclusionist aholes who think they own the place. They don't. And I don't appreciate your holier than thou argument that we all need to buy a bike "spark one up" and shut up and take it. Sixty or seventy parking spots to serve a local population of a quarter million is just stupid. End of story. Trying to get rid of perfectly good on street parking without cause like the neighborhood has tried to do since the 80s is morally indefensible. I live in a city currently and we all do just fine sharing it with all those around us. I lived on one of the busiest beaches in California for a year and my neighbors had no problem sharing a public place. What we are asking of the Town of Scarborough and these neighborhoods pales in comparison to the sort of sharing of public space the vast majority of the world manages to thrive in. The exclusionist attitude and harassment of the public at Higgins must change, and yes, it does make me angry, as it should you. Also, my family and I are from Cape Elizabeth where I grew up next to Vanderbilts, I went to school with Rockefellars, and I am friends with Spragues. They are all very nice people douche. Ill be sure to think of you next time I flush at my parents house you can start a movement of one to investigate. Oh and 920 people seem to appreciate what my page has accomplished so far. Jah rastafari bruddaman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris Powers,
    Wow, that last entry of yours really laid it out clearly for me. The determined anger in your words appear to be in need of professional help. Perhaps some self-analysis could fix you but I'm not sure! Empathy and humility are the bookends of a peaceful existence. Calling me a "douche" brought back memories of me and a bud crashing a frat party up at Bowdoin back in the 80s. We were still classic dumbasses in the school of life and consequently got our tails handed to us by guys just like you. I clearly remember "douche" being the name of choice from the attacking frat boys. So, consequently, when I saw you call me that appellation, I knew using such a blatantly sexist word must be coming from a frat boy with low to no empathic skills. Then when you blanketed all of the residents down at Higgins Beach as "exclusionist aholes," I knew you had no access to the garden of humility. Then, throw in your braggadocious association with the Rockefellers, Vanderbilts, Spragues, and Carnegies, it is clear the kind of guy you really are deep down inside. So, if Cape Elizabeth's sewage treatment facility does indeed dump effluent into the Spurwink River and surrounding marsh, are we to assume that you condone their pollution and that you are willing to exacerbate said pollution with some more when you maliciously flush your rich parents toilet??? Despite our personal differences and shortcomings, if you ever leash-burn your soft mitts while out on a wave call me over because I always have some old denim rags and some duct tape in my kit...and I always help out those in need whoever they may be, rich or poor, struggling or well adjusted, nice or just plain ol' mean and angry!! Pax!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i want to congratulate you, as i am pretty sure you are the first person to ever combine the words malicious and flush together. hilarious. and im not bragging im defending my town my neighbors and my friends. sorry you got beat up. good luck with the biking next january in your 6/5/4. in all seriousness though, if there is an issue with sewage runoff at the plant hopefully something can be done about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let's see...I'm entering the ocean that is 34 degrees F. The OAT is 5 degrees F. The wind chill is -10 degrees F. Do you really think the "bike ride" is on the top of my discomfort list??

    I guess it all goes back to the velvety-soft hands issue, now don't ya' think???? ;-)

    The H-bomb helps...a little.

    ReplyDelete